Rock Insurance is continuing to assist its business through this very difficult time. We do appreciate the pressure that this is placing in such a key travel period and have provided a complete update of what the procedures are for Rock’s Travel Insurance Providers.
Customers who’s Travel Arrangements have been cancelled pre-departure
- Unfortunately Insurers do not consider the volcanic ash to be an adverse weather condition and therefore there is no cover under Missed Departure, Missed Connection and Travel Delay;
- Additionally it is not a stated reason to cancel or curtail a trip and therefore there is no cover under the Cancellation, Curtailment or Trip Interruption Section;
- As Insurers will not provide cover under Missed Departure, Missed Connection and Travel Delay and Cancellation, Curtailment or Trip Interruption – other related costs are also not covered by the policy. This includes, but is not limited to, cruise bookings, hotel accommodation, car hire, transfers, attraction ticket costs.
Customers in Resort/Abroad
- The policy does not offer cover for additional travelling & accommodation costs incurred as a result of the grounding of aircraft by the Regulatory Authority;
- However Insurers will automatically extend cover for customers until they reach their final destination – the customer need take no further action to ensure that this cover is extended;
- Customers continue to be fully covered under all sections of their policy during the disruption caused by the volcanic eruption.
Customers wishing to cancel their travel insurance arrangement
- Insurers have confirmed that they will honour all refunds where the customer is cancelling their travel insurance policy within 14 days. You should process this in the normal way;
Where the customer has requested a cancellation of their policy outside the 14 day period then the following will apply:
- White Horse Insurance Ireland Limited: have confirmed that they will not refund any premiums outside the 14 day period;
- Fortis Insurance Limited: have confirmed that they will not refund any premiums outside the 14 day period;
- Europ Assistance: will provide a pro rata refund for any portion of the unused travel insurance policy following the normal process previously provided by Rock Insurance.
Customers wanting to amend their travel insurance details e.g. duration, destination, new dates
Rock has agreed with Insurers that policy details can be amended in order to take into consideration changes to customers’ travel plans. The following criteria will apply:
- White Horse Insurance Ireland Limited: will allow amendments to the destination/duration with no restrictions applied;
- Fortis Insurance Limited: will allow amendments to the destination/duration provided that they are made before 7 May 2010 and travel will complete before 16 October 2010;
- Europ Assistance: will allow amendments to the destination/duration with no restrictions applied.
- All amendments will be made free of charge where there is no alteration to the duration or destination;
- An additional premium may be required where there is a change to the destination or duration or both.
Sarah J Hall-Strutt
Head of Operations
NOTE: This Incident report (19 April 2010 15:15pm) supercedes and replaces all other documentation issued by Rock Insurance Services in respect to the Icelandic Volcano Eruption.